The Power of Connection
Ann Marie David
Author: Hannah Trotter
In classic Ann-Marie David fashion, she instantly has the crowd on their feet demonstrating their superpowers to one another but, with a twist – no speaking allowed!
There’s a bit of dancing, a lot of giggling and with that, the after lunch lull has certainly left the room.
Ann-Marie’s first acknowledgement was about how every presentation, despite our speakers having been given complete free-reign as to topic, has had the common thread of being centered around humanity.
Ann Marie is famous for her super power of connecting people with opportunity and ideas but she encourages us to realise how this can also become our super power.
As people, we have thousands of interactions every day and with each one of these, we are given the opportunity to create connection.
5 Senses and Their Roles in Connecting Us
As humans, connection is innate – it’s within us from the very beginning. Each of our senses are designed to bring about connection.
- Sight – When we make eye contact with one another, our brains physically light up. We engage, we connect and pathways are created within our brains.
- Touch – physically reaching out to touch someone. When we hug, hold, touch – our brains remember the experience and form pathways that can never be erased. The physiological impact of hugging is astonishing – it reduces stress, lowers blood pressure, and boosts serotonin levels. The electrical charge we given one another allows these pathways to embed within our brains.
- Hearing – we have a radar for voice. If you register and know a voice, you can be in a crowded and noisy room and still hear it.
- Smell – one of the strongest sources of memory that we have. It can connect us back to a place, a time, a feeling, a person.
- Taste – working in unison with smell to connect us to memory.
Super Charging Your Power
The key to using the power of connection is building empathetic engagement. It is this empathy that sets us apart from technology.
Empathetic engagement creates the difference in how we make decisions and it develops trust.
We are living in a world of disruption. Today, from the moment children are born, they are bombarded with technology. With screens held up to their eyes, they lose the opportunity to develop human connection.
The philological impacts on the brain of a child when it is neglected, that is lacking connection, are astounding.
We need to make the conscious effort to utilise our five senses and empathetic engagement to connect with someone at every opportunity.
With that, Ann Marie has every attendee linking arms, swaying, smiling, reaching out to one another, and she has certainly come through on her own power of connecting each human here today.
Thank you to our partners for helping us bring The Retreat 2019 (a law conference like no other!) to you!
THIS SESSION WAS SPONSORED BY
Bronwyn and Belinda, two of the #radboss ladies from Lacuna Legal Providers will be with us over the 2 days at the Retreat. Now these ladies are cleaver- they provide ‘back of house support to solo and small law firms aka YOU!!
Lacuna Legal Providers have a special offer for all attendees of the Club Retreat 2019 to sign up for a practice management or BD profile check in at 2 hours for the price of 1! At the end of the session you will get 10 tips on how you can improve your practice. More details will be shared on the flyer at the Retreat.
Our platinum partner Automio are thrilled to a part of the Club Retreat 2019. If you have been wanting to find out more about Automio’s combination of legal automation software and world-class training to scale your law firm to 7 figures you can book in a demo session with Business Development Manager, Mike Mullins here.
Automio love working with entrepreneurial lawyers just like you to help you scale up your law firm. And the final ‘Automio bedazzle’ we have for you is a special offer for you on Automio’s ‘Scale Up Springboard Training Program.’
If you enrol in Scale Up by 5pm AEDT 12 November you will get these fabulous free bonuses:
– A new, high-converting law firm website OR have our fabulous copywriter write high-converting copy for your firm’s website.
– A bonus small group VIP Event with Claudia King in Sydney before the 2 day Intensive.
– Up to $500 off your travel to the Sydney Intensive paid for
You can learn more about this offer at the Automio booth!
Blogger and Happy Law Student
Hi there! I’m Hannah and I am a law student currently in my third year at Queensland University of Technology. I graduated high-school in 2014 completely clueless about who I was, what I wanted and how I intended to get there. To many people’s surprise (including my own) I moved from my family farm on the Sunshine Coast to Brisbane to start my law degree in 2016.
Following my first year I commenced work as the Receptionist at Brisbane Family Law Centre. Having worked with this amazing team for nearly 2 years, I have been given a learning opportunity that goes beyond lectures and tutorials by providing a practical experience of the world of Law. My experience as part of the BFLC team has taught me that a Law career does not have to fit into a traditional box which has ignited a new passion for my studies as well as my future career in the legal profession.
In the meantime, I’ll stick to writing musicals, drinking coffee and playing board games.