Do It Now! You Have Everything Inside of You to Make that Shift & Make It Now
Author: Hannah Trotter
Our resident naturopath, author and natural health expert, Katherine Maslen, shares on health goals, why they are so hard to achieve, and how we can start reaching them.
What's Your View on Health?
Do you value it? Is it a chore? What does good health mean to you?
Health impacts every area of our lives but it’s more than diets and exercise – it’s about being happy and content, knowing who you are, being comfortable with yourself, and being happy with where you are at.
Why Are Health Goals So Hard to Achieve?
Making health goals are easy, the trouble comes with seeing them through.
Why is it so hard?
So often, we make excuses when it comes to seeing our health goals through.
The most common excuses:
- Time – “I’m too busy!”
- Money – “I can’t afford it!”
- Knowledge – “I don’t know how!”
- Time – Does the time not exist? Or do you value other things more?
- Money – Do you not value it enough to pay for it?
- Knowledge – Do you know how to find out?
The reality is, it’s not that we ‘”can’t” it’s that we “won’t”.
Katherine says it’s okay not to want to – we just have to be conscious and aware if it’s not a priority. When health isn’t a priority, but we tell ourselves it is, that’s when we start to feel failures.
What Drives Us?
We are driven by 3 key factors:
- Our Values – we are living our highest values right now. If we value health, we will be driven to achieve our health goals. On the other hand, if we don’t value health, our motivation to persist and commit to our goals waivers until we give up and say we can’t.
- Our Beliefs – Only 5% of what’s going on in our brains is conscious. This means, if it’s not something we subconsciously want, health will quickly move down the priority list.
- Our Mindset – it’s easy to go over our negative thoughts and not nearly as easy to play out the positive. If we tell ourselves we can’t be healthy, that triggers an emotion, and goes on to trigger a behaviour. Chances are if you think you can’t achieve your health goal, you won’t try very hard to prove you can.
How To Best Set Yourself Up To Achieve Your Health Goal
Katherine helpfully gave us 5 tips to setting ourselves up with the best chance of achieving our health goals.
- Be Clear – Write it down, understand it, don’t complicate it!
- Be Real – Be honest with yourself. Life isn’t perfect and you don’t need to be – be aware of where you’re at and work from there.
- Plan it – to succeed at anything, you need a plan. Not a plan for achieving it just this week, but what you need to put in place to achieve it in the long term.
- Visualise it! It’s not about visualising the end result, think of the journey and imagine yourself taking the steps to get there.
- Support – don’t do it alone! If things get hard, have someone you can fall back on who will encourage you to continue and do the same for them. We thrive in community.
The Take Home
The ultimate thing I took from Katherine today is that we do and prioritise the things we value. It’s so important to be self-aware to know whether you value the goals you set enough to achieve them. That way you can accurately understand why you’re not achieving those goals – it’s not because you can’t and it’s not because you’re a failure .
Thank you to our partners for helping us bring The Retreat 2019 (a law conference like no other!) to you!
THIS SESSION WAS SPONSORED BY
Bronwyn and Belinda, two of the #radboss ladies from Lacuna Legal Providers will be with us over the 2 days at the Retreat. Now these ladies are cleaver- they provide ‘back of house support to solo and small law firms aka YOU!!
Lacuna Legal Providers have a special offer for all attendees of the Club Retreat 2019 to sign up for a practice management or BD profile check in at 2 hours for the price of 1! At the end of the session you will get 10 tips on how you can improve your practice. More details will be shared on the flyer at the Retreat.
Our platinum partner Automio are thrilled to a part of the Club Retreat 2019. If you have been wanting to find out more about Automio’s combination of legal automation software and world-class training to scale your law firm to 7 figures you can book in a demo session with Business Development Manager, Mike Mullins here.
Automio love working with entrepreneurial lawyers just like you to help you scale up your law firm. And the final ‘Automio bedazzle’ we have for you is a special offer for you on Automio’s ‘Scale Up Springboard Training Program.’
If you enrol in Scale Up by 5pm AEDT 12 November you will get these fabulous free bonuses:
– A new, high-converting law firm website OR have our fabulous copywriter write high-converting copy for your firm’s website.
– A bonus small group VIP Event with Claudia King in Sydney before the 2 day Intensive.
– Up to $500 off your travel to the Sydney Intensive paid for
You can learn more about this offer at the Automio booth!
Blogger and Happy Law Student
Hi there! I’m Hannah and I am a law student currently in my third year at Queensland University of Technology. I graduated high-school in 2014 completely clueless about who I was, what I wanted and how I intended to get there. To many people’s surprise (including my own) I moved from my family farm on the Sunshine Coast to Brisbane to start my law degree in 2016.
Following my first year I commenced work as the Receptionist at Brisbane Family Law Centre. Having worked with this amazing team for nearly 2 years, I have been given a learning opportunity that goes beyond lectures and tutorials by providing a practical experience of the world of Law. My experience as part of the BFLC team has taught me that a Law career does not have to fit into a traditional box which has ignited a new passion for my studies as well as my future career in the legal profession.
In the meantime, I’ll stick to writing musicals, drinking coffee and playing board games.