Productise & Profit: How to simplify your business so you can do work you love.
Author Kiarah Grace Kelly
Lucy Dickens is the queen of all things productising. Lucy sees the world differently to many; in Lucy’s world there’s no legal product that can’t be productised. Lucy Dickens hails from Perth and graces the halls of city firm Birman & Ride by day. It is at Birman & Ride where Lucy has built and built and built. Birman & Ride now points so heavily to its inner productised businesses every day and Lucy has been such a huge part of that.
In opening her presentation, Lucy asked of us- why are we all here today? Lucy posed that there was something bigger bringing us all together, she suggested that was our collective care for meaning. Lucy goes on to explain how to get from productised services right to your meaning.
Productised services will allow us to simplify our businesses, we’ll go from selling time to selling solutions.
It’s productised services that will allow us to penetrate our potential client’s scarcity mindset in a buyers market. Why? Lucy tells us that the drivers of selection when potential clients are choosing between us all are; the benefits to them, our communication with them, whether they perceive any hassle for them ahead and, in fourth place, price.
What is a Productised Service?
Productised services are packaged, sold and delivered. They are made up of deliverables and outcomes. They are always fixed price and fixed scope. Productised services position you as the expert.
The magic of the productised service is that it is tangible, Lucy told us how it’s always easier to say yes to something you can see. When you can deliver someone something, you delight them.
Keys to Success
So what are Lucy’s ‘must-dos’ when it comes to the productised service? Here’s the situation-
- Keep your ideal client at the centre of everything while you build, but also while you deliver;
- Sell what your client’s want, not what you want to sell;
- Remember that the solutions your ideal clients want, are bigger than law;
- To get from customer to solution, you need systems;
- Once you’ve got it, cross sell with it!
Lucy took us through her productisation ladder, where do you fit?
- the traditional practice – you sell your expertise according to time, you tell, tell and tell again what your skills are and your client finds it difficult to know what they can do with them;
- you sell packages – you’ve got the ingredients and you tell your client’s what you can do. But there’s no method;
- the specialist – you know your knowledge is worth more than your time. You’ve got the packages and you’re value priced;
- you’re productised – you take your clients from problem to promise. They get the product that they’ve been waiting for and you made it happen;
- you have a product ecosystem – you’ve got many products, they’re automated. You’re spending the time you’ve saved by automating meaningfully. Plus, you get to choose the parts of the products process you get involved in!
Lucy left us by giving us a challenge- be more like a haiku (simple, elegant, full of meaning).
If you’re looking for more, Lucy has written an e-book(!) all about this topic and you can get it at lucydickens.com.au. Lucy is happy to take questions at [email protected].
Thank you to our partners for helping us bring The Retreat 2019 (a law conference like no other!) to you!
THIS SESSION WAS SPONSORED BY
Bronwyn and Belinda, two of the #radboss ladies from Lacuna Legal Providers will be with us over the 2 days at the Retreat. Now these ladies are cleaver- they provide ‘back of house support to solo and small law firms aka YOU!!
Lacuna Legal Providers have a special offer for all attendees of the Club Retreat 2019 to sign up for a practice management or BD profile check in at 2 hours for the price of 1! At the end of the session you will get 10 tips on how you can improve your practice. More details will be shared on the flyer at the Retreat.
Our platinum partner Automio are thrilled to a part of the Club Retreat 2019. If you have been wanting to find out more about Automio’s combination of legal automation software and world-class training to scale your law firm to 7 figures you can book in a demo session with Business Development Manager, Mike Mullins here.
Automio love working with entrepreneurial lawyers just like you to help you scale up your law firm. And the final ‘Automio bedazzle’ we have for you is a special offer for you on Automio’s ‘Scale Up Springboard Training Program.’
If you enrol in Scale Up by 5pm AEDT 12 November you will get these fabulous free bonuses:
– A new, high-converting law firm website OR have our fabulous copywriter write high-converting copy for your firm’s website.
– A bonus small group VIP Event with Claudia King in Sydney before the 2 day Intensive.
– Up to $500 off your travel to the Sydney Intensive paid for
You can learn more about this offer at the Automio booth!
Kiarah Grace Kelly
Blogger and Happy Lawyer
Hi! I am Kiarah Grace Kelly, I have just finished a dual Bachelors degree in Law and Government and International Relations at Griffith University on the Gold Coast. I tested my legal toes in the water at a boutique Gold Coast law firm before starting as a Law Graduate at Brisbane Family Law Centre in November 2018. I’ve just been admitted here in Queensland which makes me a Brand New Lawyer or #babylawyer as the BFLC gang likes to say. My sole practice area is Family Law.
I’m looking forward to writing about and sharing with you all that I can at this crazy-exciting but daunting stage of my career. I think there’s a need to talk about our experiences as early career lawyers so that we can all lean on each other as much as we can.
I would love to connect with you on Linkedin and Instagram!