Everything I Learnt, I Learnt from Cinema. Lessons from the World’s Greatest Cinephile.
Author Kiarah Grace Kelly
For the final session of the Retreat 2019 (can you BELIEVE we’re done for another year?), we were in the presence of greatness. Now- international business coach, new father, inspirational club faculty member or not, Jacob is a world record holder. Yes, in June 2003, Jacob was crowned the world record holder of the longest movie marathon ever. From Saturday to Tuesday, Jacob sat and he watched. It’s important to note, his movie marathon was more of a marathon than any athletic feat. What’s a few hours of running, anyway? Jacob’s task took days! Jacob remembered the moments in his life that matter- the birth of his daughter who was so very, very wanted, his wedding day and the memorable first kiss, and some moments of learning from his movie marathon too. Here’s what Jacob has to say, told through the movies-
- Harry teaches us to choose greatness, choose magnificence and to create your whole reality.
- Harry Potter shows us like not many others could, that you can have life happen to you, or have life come through you.
the Breakfast Club
- The Breakfast Club taught Mr Murray that we see people as we want to see people, no matter who they really are;
- You can be a Brain, an Athlete, a Basket Case, a Princess and a Criminal. Jacob reminded us that far too often we’re told we have to specialise, that we have to take away the parts of us that don’t fit into ‘the box’;
- You have permission to explore, to go where you might not usually. Chase your wildest dreams and ask all the questions.
Star Wars: A New Hope
- Star Wars fans know it pays to be human, no matter what the gang come up against, humanness triumphs;
- If we follow the idea that we can get 80% of the outcome from 20% of the input, we can get 50% with just 1% input. In Star Wars land, we learn that it’s all about knowing your 1%, which part of the Death Star to strike;
- Go with the force. The Star Wars crew will always have their strategy, their goal. But, it is the force, the systems, that make it count.
Glengarry Glen Ross
- Despite Alec’s greatness, this is a lesson on what not to do. Glengarry Glen Ross teaches us that the hard sales tactics still exist- 3rd prize is never ‘you’re fired’;
- Know your numbers, know them well. More importantly, it’s the conversation that flows after the numbers that counts. If a member of your team is underperforming, what do they need to improve?;
- If you ever do need to have that difficult ‘do better’ conversation, it’ll change you as a leader for the better, you’ll know what you need to do to never have to have that conversation again.
Breakfast at Tiffany's
- Champagne before breakfast is a ‘sometimes’ activity;
- There’s not much to find at Tiffany’s for under $10;
- Spend your days doing things you’ve never done before- whether they take place on the streets of New York with a very handsome author as your date is another story.
the Lion King
- Never stand downwind of Pumba;
- You know this one: it’s a problem free philosophy, it means no worries for the rest of your days! No but really, Jacob reminded us that between action and reaction we always have choice, so choose not to worry.
It's a Wonderful Life
This one is up to you- you have choice. What makes a wonderful life?
Over the course of the Retreat, we’ve had a lot of lessons, we’ve got new energy and there’s been so much excitement. Maybe we’re leaving a little fearful of the choices we have ahead. Jacob reminds us we do have the choice, if the wrong choice does arise, just like a movie, we can choose to pause, turn it off, and we won’t choose it again.
I can’t help but to feel Jacob was the perfect choice to send us off and close out all our Retreat learnings for another year. With his usual wisdom and epic delivery, I just loved Jacob’s presentation today.
Thank you to our partners for helping us bring The Retreat 2019 (a law conference like no other!) to you!
Our platinum partner Automio are thrilled to a part of the Club Retreat 2019. If you have been wanting to find out more about Automio’s combination of legal automation software and world-class training to scale your law firm to 7 figures you can book in a demo session with Business Development Manager, Mike Mullins here.
Automio love working with entrepreneurial lawyers just like you to help you scale up your law firm. And the final ‘Automio bedazzle’ we have for you is a special offer for you on Automio’s ‘Scale Up Springboard Training Program.’
If you enrol in Scale Up by 5pm AEDT 12 November you will get these fabulous free bonuses:
– A new, high-converting law firm website OR have our fabulous copywriter write high-converting copy for your firm’s website.
– A bonus small group VIP Event with Claudia King in Sydney before the 2 day Intensive.
– Up to $500 off your travel to the Sydney Intensive paid for
You can learn more about this offer at the Automio booth!
Kiarah Grace Kelly
Blogger and Happy Lawyer
Hi! I am Kiarah Grace Kelly, I have just finished a dual Bachelors degree in Law and Government and International Relations at Griffith University on the Gold Coast. I tested my legal toes in the water at a boutique Gold Coast law firm before starting as a Law Graduate at Brisbane Family Law Centre in November 2018. I’ve just been admitted here in Queensland which makes me a Brand New Lawyer or #babylawyer as the BFLC gang likes to say. My sole practice area is Family Law.
I’m looking forward to writing about and sharing with you all that I can at this crazy-exciting but daunting stage of my career. I think there’s a need to talk about our experiences as early career lawyers so that we can all lean on each other as much as we can.
I would love to connect with you on Linkedin and Instagram!