It’s All A Facade! The Truth Behind Life In Law
Author Kiarah Grace Kelly
The title of Shelby’s presentation might cause you to think she wanted to gather us all to tell us about the moments she’s had to fake it. What Shelby delivered was one of the most real, genuine and moving presentations I’ve ever been lucky enough to see. Shelby took us through some of her most challenging moments and some of her wins too. I’ve decided to deviate from my usual ‘recap’ Retreat blogging and instead talk about the lessons we can take, and the moments that impacted me the most, from the truly remarkable woman that is Shelby Timmins.
Shelby Timmins' Truths, As Told By Her To Us
- Listen to your Mumma;
- No workplace should ever try to keep you from the people that need you;
- Always ‘have a crack’;
- Look to the people around you, they are the best of you;
- Shelby has known heartache;
- Make friends with people who can still do the splits at 40;
- Laugh some more;
- Don’t swear in the presence of your children, they’ll repeat it in the most inconvenient times;
- If anyone ever asks you ‘why the hell would you risk it all?’ That’s exactly when you risk it all;
- Cook, cook as much as you can;
- Know who is the better half;
- Find a love that will make you move to Oxford and leave everything else behind;
- Always google your date after the date;
- An aerodynamicist is a person who plays with formulas to make planes and cars;
- You can create a life in law that suits you;
- Hold the ones you love close, and then a little bit closer again.
- Hold your people close. Back them. Love them.
- It’s okay not to be okay, your goals will still be there when you’re ready for them.
- Let your hair down. It’s good for the soul.
Wow. All I can say is thank you Shelby, you are so very inspiring and such a beautiful example of how we all can be we we need to be.
Thank you to our partners for helping us bring The Retreat 2019 (a law conference like no other!) to you!
Our platinum partner Automio are thrilled to a part of the Club Retreat 2019. If you have been wanting to find out more about Automio’s combination of legal automation software and world-class training to scale your law firm to 7 figures you can book in a demo session with Business Development Manager, Mike Mullins here.
Automio love working with entrepreneurial lawyers just like you to help you scale up your law firm. And the final ‘Automio bedazzle’ we have for you is a special offer for you on Automio’s ‘Scale Up Springboard Training Program.’
If you enrol in Scale Up by 5pm AEDT 12 November you will get these fabulous free bonuses:
– A new, high-converting law firm website OR have our fabulous copywriter write high-converting copy for your firm’s website.
– A bonus small group VIP Event with Claudia King in Sydney before the 2 day Intensive.
– Up to $500 off your travel to the Sydney Intensive paid for
You can learn more about this offer at the Automio booth!
Kiarah Grace Kelly
Blogger and Happy Lawyer
Hi! I am Kiarah Grace Kelly, I have just finished a dual Bachelors degree in Law and Government and International Relations at Griffith University on the Gold Coast. I tested my legal toes in the water at a boutique Gold Coast law firm before starting as a Law Graduate at Brisbane Family Law Centre in November 2018. I’ve just been admitted here in Queensland which makes me a Brand New Lawyer or #babylawyer as the BFLC gang likes to say. My sole practice area is Family Law.
I’m looking forward to writing about and sharing with you all that I can at this crazy-exciting but daunting stage of my career. I think there’s a need to talk about our experiences as early career lawyers so that we can all lean on each other as much as we can.
I would love to connect with you on Linkedin and Instagram!